Welcome To The Leek College Art Department Blog

we are inspired....

Thursday 6 February 2014

Banks Mill Open Studios, 23rd November


First visit to Banksmill Open Studios, Owned and run by the University of Derby, Banks Mill offers great studios  for new and early stage creative businesses. Coupled with comprehensive business support, mentoring and promotional opportunities.  Really good studio spaces with a broad range of artists working there. Great for students to see what you can do after graduating - from fine art, glassware, jewellery and ceramics to photography, graphic and web design, weaving, fashion, textiles and accessories.
Also on at the weekend was the christmas market of contemporary craft and designer work:  'Made in Derby' market. 
     Decorated Wooden Teacup Brooch Botanical Brooch   Decorated Wooden Teacup Brooch



 
Bird on a Branch Square Glass Brooch Bird in a Tree Framed Ceramic Tile

Loved the jewellery for the wearable art at the 'made in derby' fair. Discovered some great new artists to invite to next years Staffordshire artist and designer fair 2015
favourite studio, though there are so many brilliant ones at the mill, was the Greendoor printmakers:

The studio also runs really interesting workshops:

http://www.greendoor-printmaking.co.uk/workshops.php
really liked the work by Marketa Lukasova:
This is me Marketa, a Freelance Graphic Designer & Illustrator engrossed in the world of design. I have a passion for print work, especially typography, screen printing and the print process. I incorporate all these elements into my work whilst mixing in my illustrative style.

The current thematic focus of my work is centered on experimenting with traditional materials and methods. I am investigating this through drawing and see my work developing further into prints. I am especially keen on researching a eco-friendly print.

I make art that listens and tells stories. I see my prints as a form of storytelling inspired by life and dreams.


Really liked the illustrative work of:
Top Left: Silky Top Right: Sebrights Bottom Left: Beauty Bells Bottom Right: Foxtail   InkDrawingW

The Nesting Box

QuailOrange2WJPEG

If birds can fly, why can’t we?

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment